Monday 18 April 2011

You can’t teach an old dog new tricks? Well – you can actually! - Alison Marrs, Hello Advisor

So – this is my first blog....ever! When I started this post (March 7th) I told myself I was going to blog weekly. But I didn’t. It was on my list of things to do. I didn’t do it. I joined Twitter and Tweeted. I kept saying I was going to do a blog...and guess what? I didn’t.

I avoided it because I thought I didn’t know what I was doing, because I thought it would take up too much time, because I thought it was too late to start.

Then:
• I spoke to Robin at work about her blog and got inspired (heard other’s stories)
• I got sent the link to The Communication Trust’s blogs (had a template to follow)
• I had a meeting with colleagues on how to blog (information given)
• I heard about the aims of the blogs and how my viewpoint counts (given confidence and understanding of the aim)
• I blocked out the time in my diary to sit down and do this (organised myself!)
• I changed my attitude from ‘I can’t’ to ‘I can’ (no pun/plug intended there!) and from ‘It is too late’ to ‘Just do it!’

And? Well, I realised how easy it is to have something on your ‘to-do’ list and do nothing and yet every day I am asking people to take action for Hello.

So – I know what it is like! But if you can just make the time to have a look, then I have been so impressed by The Communication Trust and the Hello resources, which will save you time in the long run once you start using them. Look at the website www.hello.org.uk. This has it all – other’s stories/Hello event ideas, planning templates to use, information on the campaign and to share, a calendar to download to help with organising time!

I have crossed ‘blogging’ off my to-do list and it wasn’t even that painful!

No comments: